What is Vitiligo ?
Vitiligo is a type of skin disease in which light areas occur due to pigment loss in the skin, although the exact cause is not known. This disease starts to show symptoms before the age of 20, although it can be seen at any age. Vitiligo, a common disease, is observed in about 1 or 2 out of every 100 people. It is not an infectious disease. Vitiligo, which affects only the appearance of the skin, does not cause any physiological problems in patients. The dimensions of the disease and the spots on the skin surface differ from patient to patient. In the treatment, several methods are used to help the skin regain its old color.
Which drugs are used in the treatment of Vitiligo ?
The purpose of the treatment of vitiligo is to restore the skin to its former color. Light therapy to stimulate melanocytes that give color to the skin (phototherapy, excimer laser), antioxidants to reduce oxidant stress and to reduce autoimmunity are used.
Here is the list of favorable treatment methods;
- If the lesions are very common, the application called phototherapy and known as ultraviolet light therapy among the people
- Excimer laser applications
- Stopping the loss of pigment causing the skin to lighten with Vitiligo cream
- Systemically administered cortisone therapy
- Immune suppressor, Tacrolimus drug therapy
- Khellin treatment for the treatment, control and prevention of symptoms
- Combined and alternating treatments specially programmed according to the course of the disease
- Coloring the problem areas of the skin with the tattoo method
- Opening of dark parts of the body with a method called depigmentation
- Effective protection of the person from sun rays in order to prevent further darkening of the skin and to prevent the increase of cells affecting disease formation