What is the best treatment for psychogenic fugue ?
First of all, it is checked if there is any other medical problem causing memory loss. There is no specific test used for the diagnosis of psychogenic fugue. Your doctor will run a series of tests to find out if there is another reason for memory loss.
After all other possibilities have been eliminated, you must make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Psychogenic fugue is diagnosed at the end of the clinical interview, examinations and SCID test.
The goals of psychogenic fugue treatment are :
- Creating a safe environment for the person
- To recover lost memories
- Returning to pre-traumatic life
- Accepting and dealing with the trauma causing dissociative fugue
- To develop more suitable defense mechanisms to be used in stressful situations
- Return to normal life
- Correcting personal relationships